5 WAYS I’M A LOT LIKE LECH WALESA! By Charlie Joe Jackson
May 9, 2014
So guess what? My book CHARLIE JOE JACKSON’S GUIDE TO SUMMER VACATION came out this week in the new and exciting (and slightly less expensive) Paper-Over-Board format!
To celebrate, I thought I’d talk a little bit about Lech Walesa, who’s a small but important character in the book. For those of you who don’t know, Mr. Walesa was a legendary leader who became President of Poland. And the amazing thing is, he and I have a lot in common. I know you wouldn’t necessarily think so. But it’s true! No, seriously, it is.
Here are just a few of the ways we’re alike:
1. His mustache makes him look like a walrus. One of my favorite bands, The Beatles, has a song called “I Am A Walrus.”
2. He’s Polish. My sister uses a lot of nail polish.
3. His protests helped get his country to change from communism to democracy. My protests helped get my parents to change my bedtime from 8:30 to 9.
4. He worked in a shipyard. I have a back yard.
5. He once said, “Freedom is priceless!” I once said, “Being grounded stinks!” So we’re both saying essentially the same thing.
(Below: JP Coovert’s sketch of the Lech Walesa biography, from CJJ3)